Single Touch Payroll (STP) is an Australian government initiative that changes the way businesses report payroll information to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). Under STP, salary and wages, pay as you go (PAYG) withholding and superannuation data is sent electronically from your payroll solution directly to the ATO at the same time as you pay your employees.
Mandatory STP reporting commenced on 1 July 2018 for employers with 20 or more employees. For employers with 19 or less employees, the deadline is 1 July 2019.
In this section
- Learn about Single Touch Payroll
- Single Touch Payroll Checklist and preliminary tasks
- What is changing under Single Touch Payroll?
- Who is affected by Single Touch Payroll?
- Which version for Single Touch Payroll?
- How employees are affected by Single Touch Payroll
- How Attaché is managing Single Touch Payroll
- Single Touch Payroll exemptions and deferrals
- Single Touch Payroll news bulletins
- Single Touch Payroll setups
- Single Touch Payroll and Employee Portal Setup Guide (PDF)
- About the STP setup tasks
- Checks and setups in Attaché Payroll desktop
- Connecting your desktop company to Attaché Online
- Setting up STP and Employee Portal in your organisation
- Enabling Single Touch Payroll in Payroll Options
- OTE Quick Check — correct calculations for Single Touch Payroll
- Using Single Touch Payroll
- 2-step authentication for Single Touch Payroll
- Using Single Touch Payroll to submit pay events to the ATO
- Single Touch Payroll screens and field descriptions
- Troubleshooting employee Income Statement errors
- ATO rejection messages for Single Touch Payroll submissions
- Finalisation when terminating an employee
- Making adjustments after running End of Year
- Single Touch Payroll FAQs
18 September 2019
Time is running out to meet the 30 September 2019 deadline for STP reporting for all businesses, regardless of size. If you are yet to start, we recommend you contact your Attaché consultant without further delay.
3 June 2019
For end-of-year processing with STP, see Simplified End of Year with Single Touch Payroll Guide.
12 February 2019
Parliament has passed legislation to extend STP reporting to all employers – including those with 19 or fewer employees – from 1 July 2019. If you are yet to start your STP journey, see our Single Touch Payroll Checklist and preliminary tasks and talk to your consultant asap.
6 August 2018
Under STP, the ATO intends to prefill the W1 and W2 fields in the BAS with the relevant amounts from your STP batch submissions. We have been advised by the ATO that prefilling the BAS will not begin until 1 July 2019. For the 2018/19 financial year, you should continue to both calculate and enter the W1 and W2 fields in your BAS in the same way as before the introduction of STP.
23 June 2018
If you're not ready for STP read about Single Touch Payroll exemptions and deferrals and talk to your Attaché consultant.
15 June 2018
Single Touch Payroll and Employee Portal Setup Guide provides step-by-step details on setting up your Attaché Payroll system for STP reporting.
18 April 2018
Employee fact sheet (PDF)
Our fact sheet explains what Single Touch Payroll means to employees.