This page describes how to check that your payroll masterfiles and setups are ready for STP so the correct information is included in your submissions to the ATO.
Checking employee masterfiles for details required for STP
Use the Employer Details/Validation report (Reports | Payroll | Payment Summaries | Employer Details/Validation) to check for missing details. If there are missing details, complete these in the relevant employee masterfile at the same time as completing the next task (below).
Note: Prior to submitting data to the ATO, Attaché Payroll will validate employee details for each submission. Any missing details will be flagged for you to complete prior to submission. This initial check of the masterfiles is to help you find any missing details before your first STP batch so that you don’t have to spend time correcting them then.
The Employer Details/Validation report shows if any required details are missing in your masterfiles
Updating employee masterfiles for STP and Employee Portal
To allow your employee records to flow through to Employee Portal, ensure that the Enable Attaché Online check box is selected in each employee masterfile. Once enabled, any changes you make to selected fields in the masterfile will flow through to Employee Portal. Likewise, changes to employee details that you or the employee make in Employee Portal will flow back to the masterfile.
Note: If you are not planning to use Employee Portal for all your employees, you still need to complete Step 3 below for those employees whom you wish to administer your Employee Portal and/or make STP submissions to the ATO. Those employees will then be available in Attaché Online for you to grant administrator or STP rights. See Creating different types of users in Attaché Online.
To update employee masterfiles for STP and Employee Portal:
- Choose Masterfiles | Payroll | Employee Details | Maintain to open the employee masterfile, then select the first employee.
- For Single Touch Payroll:
- Complete any missing details noted in the Employer Details/Validation report (above).
- If you have employees with an overseas address who are required to pay tax in Australia, complete the Suburb field but leave the State and Postcode fields blank.
- For the Employee Portal:
- Select the Online Services tab.
- In the Attaché Online Email Address field, enter an email address for the employee.
This is the email address that the employee will use to log in to Attaché Online to access Employee Portal. We recommend that you enter the employee's work email address. However, if they do not have a work email address, you can use a personal email address.
- Ensure the Enable Attaché Online check box is selected. For employees who do not require access, clear this check box.
- Select the Details tab and complete the Job Title field. This is displayed in the Attaché Online employee directory.
To allow access to Employee Portal, you’ll need to update your employee masterfiles
- Choose Accept (F9).
- Complete the above steps for all employees.
Your employees are now ready to be displayed in Employee Portal.
Checking your Super Guarantee Contribution setup for STP
This task is to check your Super Guarantee setup to ensure the correct amounts will be reported in STP. Most businesses will have the correct setup as a FairWork/SuperStream requirement.
To check your Super Guarantee Contribution setup:
- Choose Setups | Payroll | Employer Contributions | Maintain to open Employee Contributions/Super Maintenance.
- At Contribution Code, select your Super Guarantee code, typically SG.
- Check that Type is set to G = % of OTE (Ordinary Time Earnings).
If your setup is incorrect, do not simply change the setting, as it will impact your pays. Instead, refer to Setting up superannuation funds and Employee Super/Other Accounts in the Attaché Help Centre or talk to your Attaché consultant.
Check that your SG contribution is correctly set up for STP reporting
Checking your super fund for Employee Onboarding
Employee Portal includes a facility to onboard new employees to your business and this includes the ability for them to either accept your default super fund or enter details of a different fund.
In order for onboarding to work, you must establish a default super fund. This requires certain details to be set up for the default fund in Superannuation Funds Maintenance.
To check details of your default super fund:
- Choose Setups | Payroll | Superannuation Funds | Maintain to open Superannuation Funds Maintenance.
- At Superannuation Fund Code, select your default super fund.
- Ensure the following fields are complete for the fund:
- Superannuation Fund Name
- Website address
If any of the required fields are left blank, the fund will not be displayed in Employee Portal and Employee Onboarding will not be available.
Check that your default super fund includes the required details so that the fund will be
available in Employee Portal for Employee Onboarding
Updating your Allowances setups for STP (in Attaché 18.1 or later)
Attaché 18.1 includes new itemised allowances (as required by the ATO). However, you can make STP lodgements with your current allowance setups until you are ready to upgrade to Attaché 18.1 and change your allowance setups. You only need to complete itemised allowances before your final STP submission for the 2018/19 financial year (in June 2019).
- Choose Setups | Payroll | Allowances | Maintain.
- Select the Allowance Code.
- If the Tax Certificate Code is 2 = Itemise on Tax Certificate then at Allowance Types, select the appropriate category (Car, Transport, Laundry, etc).
If you are using Attaché 18 (or later), update your allowances for STP reporting
- Choose Accept (F9).
You have now completed the checks and setups in your Attaché Payroll desktop company. Next, you request an Attaché Online organisation and connect your payroll company (dataset) to that organisation.
REF: A001677.02 280618